Sunday, December 5, 2010

Poetry in Motion...

My 7 year old son just spent this morning wrestling in his first meet, match, or tournament, whatever you want to call it.  You see wrestling is different from any other sport my two children have tried so far.  The practices are CLOSED... :O

I totally understand the reasoning for this.  The wrestling room is a small space, and to fit 40+ kids, 10 coaches, and all of their parents would just not be reasonable.  Also, some parents just do not seem to understand the importance of staying off the mats.  It seems to be a very difficult concept that your shoes have germs on them that could contribute to skin diseases.  Not to mention, some parents can be very distracting to their kids trying to learn.

Anyway, my son did so well on Sunday.  He made his dad very proud.  He lost his first 2 matches, but I am sure that was more because he did not understand the scoring system in wrestling.  Once we took a little time to explain it to him, siting examples of how he "gave away" points in the second match, he improved even more.

Match 1... My son 7 -- challenger 8...
Match 2... My son 8 -- challenger 13...
Match 3... My son 12 -- challenger 9...

Match 2 and 3 were against the same kid (and she is a girl a very tough girl)...

My wife took video of match 3, so if I can get it out of her camera, I will add it here...

No comments:

Post a Comment